Guest Devotional-- Sandy Mayer

Jesus said,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

We are in our rainy season and everything seems to be growing faster: bushes, trees, plants and… WEEDS! One day, I was sitting on my stool pulling weeds in the garden area and I thought how weeds are a lot like the sin in our lives. You know, they will take over, choking out other plants and causing the area to look bad. The same thing happens to us, spiritually, when we don’t confess our sins. We become paralyzed and burdened by the sin and it seems to take over our being.

Spraying is one way to get rid of weeds, although it sometimes kills the plants around the weeds. Spraying is like telling everyone around us about our sin but not confessing to God. When I’m gardening, I prefer to simply pull the weeds gently, being careful to remove the roots, which takes more time and effort. When God is able to pull out the root of our sin, hopefully we won’t repeat it. 1 John 1:10 says that God wants us to confess our sins because he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. Roots and all.

Admitting and confessing our sins can take time and courage. God will sometimes send circumstances our way in order to help us see how we have hurt Him and/or someone else. These circumstances are like the rain which comes and softens the ground around the weeds and makes it easier to remove the roots. God is so gentle with us and He knows who we are and what we have gone through. He knows our hearts.

After the weeding is finished, it is so nice to look around and clearly see the plants. This is an AHA… moment. It is time to rest. Just like after confessing our sins, the burden is gone, and we experience peace and rest.

What has God shown you in his Word? Are there any weeds in your Garden? Do you trust Him to help you?

No comments: