Guest Devotional-- April McCullohs

For my God-Time, I’ve been reading through a book called Jesus, the One and Only, by Beth Moore. We’re going passage by passage through the book of Luke. I recently read a story about a woman, Anna, whose life really inspires me!

Right after Jesus was born, his parents took him to the temple to present him to God. (This kind of reminds me of Raffiki in the Lion King lifting little Simba to the clouds!) While Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus are in the temple, this woman, Anna, comes up to them.

“There was also a prophetess, Anna…she was very old…and was a widow…she never left the temple but worshiped day and night, fasting and praying.” Luke 2:36,37

I’m really impressed by this lady! The Bible said she was 84. She spent her life serving and worshipping God. Because she knew the Bible so well, and she had the Holy Spirit’s discernment, she was able to recognize the squirrely little infant in the poor couple’s arms as Jesus, Son of God!

“Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.” Luke 2:38

Anna’s life encourages me to spend more time with God in prayer. I want to be able to recognize what God is doing in my life and where He’s moving, just like she did. I want to be ready to meet Jesus whenever he shows up!

*How can you carve out more time to spend in prayer? What will you give up to make that happen?
*Ask God to show you where He is working in your life, so you’ll be able to partner with Him.

No comments: