On Being a Mom- Sarah Chandler

When I was pregnant with my son, Michael, I have to say I did not think about his teenage years. I thought about the fun times with my new baby, cuddling him, feeding him watching him learn to walk, and to talk. I imagined playing together as he grew into a toddler and maybe as far as the first day of preschool. Nowhere along the way did I think about the struggles he would face as a teenager in middle school-- facing bullies, cussing, girls, sex, drugs and all the other temptations the world throws at children through the media and society.

For my daily quiet time, I have been reading the gospels, journaling and praying. I have really been trying to follow the scripture, Matthew 6:6-8, which tells me to carve out private time in a quiet place on my knees praying.

“But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” Matthew 6:6

One afternoon I was reading scripture in Luke 19, really struggling with some things going on with my son and needing some relief from worry. Afterward I get down on my knees and I am just sitting quietly with God and trying to feel His grace and give up (really hard for me to let go!!) my worries about Michael. All of a sudden I hear God speaking to me: MY plan for him WILL get done SARAH! I got chills. I was crying-- it was amazing. To make it even more amazing a verse in Luke led me to a scripture in Job 36:5 that I have since memorized. It provides me daily comfort:

“God is mighty, but does not despise men; he is mighty, and firm in his purpose.”

As a mom I can’t tell you what a relief it is to know that God has a plan for our children. Yes, they will go through trials and hardships but His ultimate plan will get done. I still struggle to let go and give up my worries to God, to let Him be the control in my life and trust His plan for my family. But, I do notice things go much smoother when I do!

No comments: