Guest Devotional- Sandy Mayer

I was reading my devotional this morning about influence. The question was: What is the difference between a leader and a boss?. A boss says Go!, a leader says Let’s Go!; a boss knows how it’s done, a leader shows how it’s done; a boss inspires fear, a leader inspires enthusiasm based on respect and good will; a boss fixes the blame for the breakdown, a leader fixes the breakdown.

Just before the Passover feast Jesus washed the disciples feet and said, "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor messenger greater than one who sent him." John 13:15. Jesus is our best example.

Becoming a Christ-like leader is a process that Paul talked about in 1Cor 9:24-25. “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.”

This scripture makes me picture myself and everyone around me (spouse, children, family, coworkers, neighbors, relatives) that I’m able to influence. As I look back at the race I have run so far I ask myself, was I a boss or a leader? I think back to when Ashley and Hal were toddlers and how I treated them as they grew up. I know there were times when my parenting was more bossy than I’d like. But, thankfully, there’s still a lot of race left to be run. Thank God.

I take this influence seriously enough to ask God to help me be an example. One that will influence those around me to want to accept Jesus into their hearts. Isn’t that what it is all about?? When Jesus is my example and I allow him to live in me, I don’t have to worry about being a bossy mom…

No comments: