Devotional by Stacy Heckman


A couple years ago I bought a bird feeder. 

It's nothing fancy, but it is the kind that holds bird seed "cakes" instead of loose bird seed. It's been so much fun throughout the seasons to watch different birds come & go. My 5-year old son has learned the differences between a cardinal & a finch, a blue jay & a chickadee. I love opening up the french doors to the back porch early in the morning so I can watch & listen to all the birds that are visiting that day. 

We've enjoyed it so much that last week I decided that it would be fun to add another bird feeder. More birds = more fun, right?  This time I got one that holds loose seed. It has 6 different areas for the birds to sit & eat. I thought, hey...the more the better!  Boy, was I wrong. Not only did this new bird feeder attract all the WRONG kinds of birds (a flock of aggresive, fighting crows & several pooping pigeons), it scared away all my other bird friends. They have been quite scarce in the past week or so. Once I realized my mistake I immediately removed the new feeder & put it inside. 

Can you think of a time in your life when you've made a similar mistake? 

Thinking that "more is better" or "more things = more fun?" It's a dangerous mindset that is so easy for us to fall into living in such a "Babylonian Society" as Beth Moore puts it. We're constantly fed messages that we need "more" of everything - more technology, more clothes, more space in our houses or cars...always more. 

But Jesus wants us to be content with what He has provided for us.

In 1 Timothy 6:6 it says, "Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth." God wants us to find our wealth & happiness in Him - not in tangible things. It is so much more rewarding to find contentment in your relationship with Jesus Christ than in anything in this earthly life. 

If you have been feeling tempted lately by society's message of "more is better" then I encourage you to read all of 1 Timothy 6 & see what God speaks to your heart. 

Contentment is a very powerful emotion. Let's seek it in God & find out just how amazing it can feel.

No comments: