The Invisible Battle by Jeannette Rodriguez



It has been a very rough year marked by one harsh blow after another for my family & I.  Barely a chance to breathe before the next trial came upon us.  I admit, I let the devil into my life, giving him more than a foothold and allowing him to devour all that had been good in me.

Negative emotions soon became all there was.  They surrounded me, enveloped me, and drowned me into depths of darkness which had once been filled with so much positive light. The more I focused on my circumstances and those negative feelings, the worse those circumstances got and the worse I would feel. It was a vicious circle, that kept going on and on with no way out. I was out of control and everything about me showed it - my demeanor, my attitude, my speech and my actions.

Even though I knew God promised to never leave me, I felt alone. Even with people near me, I felt alone.  I learned this "stinkin thinkin" was very destructive & hard to get rid of. I knew only God could shed light into that darkness as He often did.  And, then something else would happen. Those negative emotions would take over again, and it would be gone. I didn't realize there was an invisible battle going on.  I just thought it was a season of life I must endure.

Thankfully, out of instinct, I began reading scripture and praying, realizing that I desperately needed Jesus and His peace.

“Submit yourselves, then, to God.  Resist the devil, and He will flee from you” James 4:7 (NIV)

In that 4 a.m. darkness, all alone and scared to death, I left my ego, self pity, and negativity alone and allowed God to deal with me, to speak to me, to SHINE into my life.  I started focusing on things worthy of my focus, things that are good for my spirit and things that are for His edification. Very slowly, but just as steady, I watched HIS light grow stronger and brighter.

The things of this past year that devastated me slowly became stepping stones in my rear view mirror instead of huge mountainous obstacles in my windshield.

I started to let go of my negative thoughts and emotions and began trusting God and His sovereignty.  No need to stress or be upset or angry because He is in control of everything. Remembering that promise helps tremendously, though I still fall short... I am going to always be a work in progress... I don't claim perfection nor think I will ever reach it... I don't claim to have reached a point of being done learning, growing, changing or healing....

I can say …thanks to a shift in perspective of allowing my heart to open up & let God in, His light is shining and starting to reflect through me once again.   

Thank you Jesus,
Jeannette

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  
 In this world, you will have trouble.  But, take heart!  
 I have overcome the world” 
John 16:33 (NIV)

No comments: