Praise You in this Storm By Brooke Lupari



“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,
Whenever you face trials of many kinds, because
You know that the testing of your faith 
produces perseverance.”   
James 1:2-3, NIV


May 8th, 2012. Surprise! We’re pregnant! Wow, such an exciting moment in a couple’s life. Both of our minds began to spin in a million thoughts of excitement, joy, worry and fear. Michael and I were overjoyed and thankful that God had blessed us with a child of our very own.  At first, we only told a few select people, and once we were at 9 weeks we decided to share with everyone the wonderful news.
And then the clouds began to loom over our little world.
After we shared the news of our pregnancy, physical symptoms warranted a call to the doctor, which led to an urgent ultrasound. Seconds turned into minutes, minutes to hours, and hours turned to days.  Worry and fear of losing the pregnancy was quickly becoming a reality. A week later that reality became true. The words “fetal demise” on an ultrasound report glared back at us.  After ten days of the worst physical pain I have ever experienced, a trip to the emergency room and surgery were the only options left.

During this time, a verse from the book of James kept coming to the forefront of my mind (James 1:2-3). Not a coincidence, but divine intervention. I vividly remember crying and saying, “Dear Heavenly Father, how on earth am I supposed to be joyful when I feel so sad?” After many prayerful moments, I decided to make the choice to be joyful because that is what God’s Word tells me to do. So, being the Type A woman that I am I came up with a list in my mind titled, “Brooke’s Joy List”.  I reflected on this list when I needed His strength, and I have found great comfort in knowing:

1. A Heavenly Father empties His unending love on me every second of every day.
2. A loving husband who has never left my side as I endured emotional and physical pain.
3. Family and friends who poured there love onto me through text, prayer and calls.
4.  I CAN get pregnant!
5. That God allowed this experience to occur in my life no matter how painful it was,
     because I can now empathize and provide encouragement to others who have 
     suffered a miscarriage.

My “Joy List” pried my eyes open to God’s providence in my life and gave me a heart full of peace and gratitude, not anger or despair. It is through our trials that God’s glory shines the brightest for others to see. It is during these journeys that God molds us to become stronger warriors for Christ. So during your times of trouble make a joy list and reflect on His strength and presence to sustain you. You will be amazed at the transformation in your mind and most importantly, in your heart!  I want to leave you with the words from one of my favorite songs from Casting Crowns, 

Praise You in this Storm 
   "I’ll praise you in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For you are who you are
No matter where I am
Every tear I’ve cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
   I will praise you in this storm."

                                                                                    Casting Crowns

No comments: