When My Faith Feels Cold, by Dawn Camp

When My Faith Feels Cold

0909_Prayer_032

I lead a fairly insulated life. Many of life's bigger temptations don't come into my path on a regular basis.

Money is always a struggle with our large family, but no major calamities have befallen us recently.


Although I count my blessings for this calm state of affairs, sometimes my faith feels cold.

Trials and temptations draw me closer to God when faced with the limits of my understanding and ability to deal with problems on my own. In the absence of larger struggles, however, I tend to rely on myself too much and Him too little.

Unfortunately, it's sometimes difficult to break that pattern of self-reliance.

I don't know about you, but when things are going well I don't have the courage to ask for adversity to deepen my relationship and dependence on Him.

James 4:8 tells us, "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." What an amazing thing to know that the God of the universe is there for me: for fellowship, confession, comfort.

When I recognize a coldness creeping into my relationship with Him, I pray this simple prayer, "Lord, my faith is cold and weak. Please draw me nigh unto you and draw nigh unto me."

And He does.

by Dawn Camp, My Home Sweet Home

No comments: