Guest Devotional - Cheryl Holmes

Last Christmas, as I was preparing my home with decorations and talking with my children about Christmas, I felt a desire to make it a month-long event rather than a one-day event. As I was looking for ways to expand our Christmas season I came across a book written by several well-known Christian authors that describes the season of Advent.

Wikipedia defines Advent (from the Latin word adventus meaning "coming") as a season observed in many Western Christian churches, a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. Latin adventus is the translation of the Greek word parousia, commonly used in reference to the Second Coming. Christians believe that the season of Advent serves as a reminder both of the original waiting that was done by the Hebrews for the birth of their Messiah, as well as the waiting of Christians for the second coming of Christ.

This was exactly what I was looking for; a way to celebrate Jesus and make Christmas about Him and not what we are getting for Christmas. We still gave gifts and enjoyed them, but I felt that I had really celebrated with my family the real meaning of Christmas. What about you? How will you make this Advent season about what Jesus did for you? How will you show Him how much you love Him?

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given…

No comments: