Guest Devotional - Sandy Mayer

During the hustle and bustle of the holidays, New Year and planning my daughter's wedding, I have been trying to slow down and not have it all be remembered as one big blur. I want each year to be different with a celebration of joy that only God can give. I know I have to prioritize my day so this will happen. But, how do I do it?

First, I need to remember Jesus said to "Love the Lord my God with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my mind." (Matt 22: 37) Do I just wake each morning wondering what will I do today, or do I have a planned schedule that can’t be changed? Both aren’t that great, unless I ask God what is on His schedule for me today. Before I get out of bed my thoughts are: "Lord speak to me during my time with You in your Word and fill me through your Spirit with an overflowing of your love." God knows what is important, He knows what I would like to accomplish, and He knows what we (God and I) should accomplish in His day. So why would I worry about my never-ending "to do" list when I can trust God with my schedule. If something doesn’t get done , I just blame God. No, just kidding! I just come to realize it wasn’t that important anyway. It wasn’t part of the "Big Picture." God had something better for me to do.

In Matthew 22: 39 Jesus said, "Love your neighbor as yourself. " The word "neighbor" doesn’t mean a material possession. Neighbor means a human being. Jesus is reminding us that people are important to God, and thus, they should be important to me. I need to take my mind off the things are not human and put it on living souls. I'm so happy that CATB has activities such as Servant Evangelism, Home Teams, and service projects where we can pour into the lives of others.

One more thing that helps me prioritize my day is to remember that God loves you and me first. 1John 4:19 says "We love, because He first loved us." We are to feel loved daily and the overflow of our love for God and the acceptance of Jesus will flow into the lives of others. I hope this upcoming year we will all experience the joy of the overflow !!!!!

No comments: